Accepting applications for the 2023-24 academic year!
Still accepting applications for the current school year
KIPP has a long and proven track record of successful high schools in the Bay Area, with established elementary and middle schools in East Palo Alto (KIPP Valiant) and Redwood City (KIPP Excelencia.) KIPP Esperanza is the next step in helping students continue their journey from kindergarten through life. KIPP Esperanza
KIPP has a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Read more about our commitment to the work here.
Identity | Community | Growth | Love | Honor
At KIPP Esperanza we ensure that all of our students are given the options and opportunities that they deserve. Our school has been designed to serve the needs of all our students and families. We will offer:
- Rigorous classes coupled with academic supports such as tutoring from highly trained and effective teachers.
- Socio-emotional learning and mental health counseling so that students continue building healthy social skills and relationships.
- College counseling for both families and students throughout high school and once in college to ensure that students not only enroll in college but to also graduate.
KIPP Esperanza students will have the skills and confidence needed to tackle whatever they choose to pursue after high school – in college or career.
Special Education at KIPP
All students are welcome! We recognize the unique needs of each student and design high quality and specialized programs that enable each student to fully participate in their school community and the world at large. Special education services are available at all KIPP schools. Learn more about the SPED Program.
Mental Health & Wellness
KIPP Northern California aims to provide high-quality, client-centered, and culturally responsive mental health services designed to support students with varying levels of need. All students should have access to quality mental health services and as such, all services are free to students and provided regardless of insurance in order to reduce barriers to mental health care, meet students where they are at, and challenge mental health stigma. Learn more about our Mental Health and Wellness Program.
Applications for the 2023-24 school year are open for Grades 9-11. You can submit your online application here or visit the school to submit an application.
Only applications that are received by the Open Enrollment deadline will be considered in the Lottery. Applications received after the Open Enrollment deadline will be considered on a first-come-first-served basis. Lottery decisions will be sent to families via text and email.
Open Enrollment deadline: February 10, 2023
To submit an application or inquire about your status on the waitlist, please log in to your SchoolMint account at kippnorcal.schoolmint.net/.
How to apply
Watch our Virtual Information Session (English) by clicking HERE
Vea nuestra Sesión Informativa Virtual (español) haciendo clic AQUI
You can submit your online application here or visit the school to submit an application.
Number of Students
Students of Color
Eligible for free or reduced-price lunch
Receive special education services
English language learners
What Makes KIPP Different?
With a focus on character and academics, our free public charter schools prepare students for success in college and opportunity in life.
Sense of Belonging
KIPP provides a positive, supportive, and anti-racist learning environment where all students are known, respected, and empowered.
- 100% of our schools prioritize social-emotional learning through a Multi-Tiered System of Supports; 100% of our schools have mental health counselors, which is available to all students irrespective of insurance status
KIPP fosters a culture of academic excellence and intellectual curiosity through individualized instruction that meets the learning needs of every student.
- KIPP Northern California high schools are ranked in the top 5% of public high schools in the country, according to US News & World Report
- 59% of KIPP students meet or exceed California State academic standards for English Language Arts (compared to 50% across the state)
- 47% of KIPP students meet or exceed California State academic standards for Math (compared to 39% across the state) *2021 results
- Award winning schools, for example: 9 California Distinguished School Awards, 2 National Blue Ribbon Awards, among others
Family & Community Partnerships
KIPP partners with families and local organizations in their communities to support healthy development for children.
- KIPP partners with community organizations including: El Concilio California, YMCA, Community Partnerships for Families of San Joaquin, Housing Authority of San Joaquin, Boys & Girls Club, College Track, Bayview Hunters’ Point Clinic, among many others
Developing Leaders of Color
KIPP creates a sense of belonging and fortifies the positive racial identity of emerging leaders of color at our schools.
- 83% of our executive team, 59% of our school principals, and 62% of our teachers identify as people of color
College and Career Guidance
KIPP works with high school students and 4,000 alumni each year on a path to college, career, and beyond.
- Over time, 89% of all KIPP Northern California high school students have matriculated to college and progressive pathways
- Our alumni graduate college at four times the rate of their peers
We embed anti-racism into the core of who we are and what we do.
- We seek to disrupt racial and socio-economic inequities in access and outcomes so that ALL of our students, families, and alumni thrive
- The pandemic has disproportionately affected the academic and socio-emotional progress of students like ours, especially Black students, students who qualify for specialized services, and multilingual learners
- To ensure we are designing for success at the margins, we are implementing a set of strategies to expand an equitable funding model for students who have an individualized education plan (IEP) and/or are multilingual learners, and schools with large populations of students in these groups